Get a copy of the London Review Book Box from October 2020.
This box contains:
- Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga
- Chin Chin from The Real African Food Co.
- Detox Himalayan Bath Salts from Corinne Taylor
- Jasmine and Passion Fruit Punch Tea-Pops
- Unique Nervous Conditions inspired bookmark
- A postcard from our booksellers with information about this book.
Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga
First published in 1988, Tsitsi Dangarembga’s Nervous Conditions was the first novel by a black Zimbabwean woman to appear in English. In it you will meet the unforgettable character of Tambudzai, Tambu for short, growing up and learning how to live in a country in the midst of tumultuous transformation. Touching, heart-breaking and in part autobiographical, this is a necessary prequel to Dangarembga’s recently Booker short-listed This Mournable Body, the final volume of a trilogy which also includes The Book of Not . As Kwame Anthony Appiah writes in his new introduction to this edition, ‘It does not matter if you know nothing at all of Zimbabwe’s cultures, politics and history. Everything you need waits for you in Tambu’s narration.’