Close Readings Plus: Among the Ancients II
Close Readings, the LRB’s acclaimed programme of year-long literary courses, returns with three new series. Subscribe to the podcast to listen to them all (as well as all past series) next year, or sign up for a full Close Readings Plus course: you’ll still get podcast access to everything but also a host of other features to transform your reading in 2024.
Emily Wilson, celebrated classicist and translator of Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey, is back to take on another twelve vital works of Greek and Roman literature with the LRB’s Thomas Jones, loosely themed around truth and lies – from from Aesop’s Fables to Marcus Aurelius’s Meditations.
Close Readings Plus subscribers to the series will receive:
- The twelve monthly episodes, beginning in January 2024
- Subscriber access to the Close Readings podcast to the end of 2024, so you can listen to the other two new series too, and past series including Emily and Tom’s first twelve episodes
- The twelve texts under discussion delivered to your door: Emily’s chosen translations of Hesiod, Aesop, Herodotus, Pindar, Plato, Lucian, Plautus and Terence, Lucan, Tacitus, Juvenal, Apuleius and Marcus Aurelius
- Live webinars with the presenters and special guests
- Transcripts, shownotes and further reading from the LRB archive
- Limited numbers: sign up early!
Close Readings Plus subscriptions will close on 31 January 2024. Books and course materials will be shipped from the start of January.